Home Forums Sasquatch Forum O/T Blocking threads?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Jo M
    Participant

Hi. I have a silly and dumb but serious question. Is there a way to block a thread? I really want to peruse the forum and see what info, ideas, weird stuff, etc. is out there but I get so distracted by the O/T threads that it just gets me all worked up and offended and I never make it to the much more interesting ones!! I try to ignore them, I really do, but I can’t look away! Then I act like a jerk. So is it possible? It’s ruining my happy place. We actually don’t all think alike here, and I prefer to get my divisive and insulting rhetoric at family dinners. This way I wouldn’t be infringing on anyone else’s rights, I can just go on being happily ignorant. 😒🤬🤨🇺🇸🇺🇸👍👍

Wolf
    Participant

I suggested a few years back to break the forum up into categories like Off Topic, Woo, etc.
    But because of the system used it is apparently too difficult to do so we started simply putting “O/T” before the thread heading.

We are all big boys and girls here. Simply don’t read something if it offends your political sensibilities. If you have a solid argument/evidence against what you read, then debate the issue. Debate is healthy is it not? And you might contribute something important. Echo chambers are NOT healthy.

Some members have been grateful for the info posted, claiming it has woken them up to reality.

Jo M
    Participant

Ok, I understand. It’s not offending my “political” sensibilities, I vote GOP and I’m still offended by what’s said. I’m just so tired of this country arguing. It would be super cool if there was at least one place we didnt have to experience it. Yes, debate can be good, but it can also be unnecessary, and there’s no debate in hurling insults. Maybe there’s a more appropriate place for people to express their political views than Sasquatch Chronicles?
    I am definitely a big girl and capable of fighting for a good cause. I think this is one. Just my opinion.

Amy H
    Participant

When I first became a member I was thirsty for squatch info. The OT threads drove me bananas. After some unknown threshold, I guess I felt I had the grasp needed to deal with these creatures. Then… the OT stuff became more appealing. Perhaps you’ll experience the same Jo?

The OT stuff is kinda fun because there are interesting characters floating around here. We are all united tho by this common desire to understand this animal. That commonality provides a sense of community. What happens in communities is people share interests and want to know how other seemingly like-minded people view those situations.

It’s all good. Stick to the squatch related threads and perhaps once you’ve reached a threshold, you’ll branch out and see what the other nutters think…? Or not…

Wolf
    Participant

I rarely see arguments and insults here?

Perhaps words by text can carry tones that aren’t there in the mind of the typist from time to time leading to misunderstandings?
    Trust me, as an Aussie I’ve had my fair share of misunderstood ‘run-ins’ 😂
    But generally speaking I have found the members here are men and women of honour, maturity and relatively high intelligence. I would buy practically every one of them a beer and shake his or her hand if meeting face to face.

Knobby

At one time this forum rarely ventured away from the sasquatch topic. I never stopped people from discussing other things, even I in the course of a discussion would venture off to some other issue. But a disgruntled person contacting Wes to complain about me (I can rub people raw by moderating people) and they made up the charge that I would not allow anyone to discuss anything off the sasquatch topic (totally made up, I have no idea where that came from).

So, in a conversation with Wes he told me that it was a members forum and the members are free to discuss whatever they want. He didn’t ask me to relay that to the forum, but I did, and upon hearing that people started discussing everything under the sun. We had a number of people complain back then about all the off topic stuff.

In my opinion people don’t even need to put O/T at the start of a non-sasquatch topic. That’s not something I started or advocated. The title usually identifies what it is.

chris422
    Participant

I love the OT topics. It brings out the best in people.

Gumshoguy

Just go to the search bar and enter whatever topic subject and read away… I am still impressed by the treasure trove of information found there.. It is really pretty good.

m99
    Participant

Hi Jo M ~ I understand and felt much the same way. I thought it’s getting carried away and this is for Sasquatch. Then I realized, this is for members, and sometimes members need or want to talk about current events or random meditations. I usually read the forums, but don’t comment always. You’d be surprised at the diversity here, and the thoughts bantered about that you’ve never considered. Or, just skip ’em and go to the heart of the matter. Truthfully, there’s no way to cater to everyone in a forum. Thing is, the moderators don’t allow filthy or offensive language. If it happens and no one catches it, send an email to Wes, and state the cause clearly in the subject line. He’ll get it, but won’t answer (it more than likely). But he’ll forward it to the moderators, who’ll deal with it. It works.

acrylic sand artist
    Participant

Jo M,

I strongly suggest visit threads you like and ignore the rest.
    Why make yourself sick if you don’t have to?
    Works for me.

m99
    Participant

👍👍

Denise F
    Participant

I have no advice, for once, but I did get a kick out of your topic, lol. 😉

chris422
    Participant

But if these threads didn’t exist, where would all the right wing extremists and racists go? lmao

Jo M
    Participant

Thanks All. I really do appreciate the thoughtful replies and apologize for being a jerk.

Kurt K
    Participant

Came for the Squatch stories but stay for the OT’s. It’s the chicken soup for my soul these days.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.