Home Forums Sasquatch Forum O/T: best State to move to

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Wolf
    Participant

I’m still seriously considering moving my family to the US to escape what looks like medical tyranny coming to Australia within months.

From what I have seen of America, many states there are equally as oppressive… while some, like Florida and South Dakota have resisted the BS mandates of the Plandemic.

While my son loves the cold, both my wife and I are big softies, having lived most of our lives in the sub-tropics of Queensland.

We also love mountains and are very much country folk.

If we do decide to escape, which parts of the US would you guys recommend?

Knobby

You might like the southeast. I would say the panhandle of Florida, for warmth, but that’s a good ways from mountains, I believe. Maybe Georgia or North Carolina, but they have four seasons and it gets cold in the Winter, but those states have mountains. There is no dry season there, it rains all year so that if its not developed its wooded. The southwest is dry.

Debbie S
    Participant

I’ve seen this question come up a lot lately. My son wants badly to move to South Dakota but even he who is no stranger to cold weather has grave doubts as to whether he could actually take the cold of SD(and summers can be blistering hot). So there is that. I have cousins who live in Florida and when we had a funeral in January(in VA) they were stunned by how closed up the state of VA was and how much mask compliance there was. Because they told me there were only small pockets of that in Florida….and yes, they told me they LOVE their governor. Having visited in Florida for much of my life I can tell you it is freaking hot there….too hot for me or I would have left last week. LOL

The whole Appalachian area has the mountains that you love. Most of those states are red states except VA. I was born and raised there and once upon a time I would have recommended it 100%…not anymore. 🙁 I am in WV now and seriously doubt that it will turn blue anytime soon. But….this is one of the poorest states in the US. Property and property taxes are low depending on which part of the state. Summers can be scorching and winters cold. If you are on the mountains you will see a lot of snow…in the valley like we are…you watch the mountains get covered while we get a skiff or a few inches. NC has some of the most beautiful mountains on the east coast but it seems to have its own political problems and may not remain red. Would need imput from someone living there. If I were to seriously reconsider where I am(but not likely) I would take a harder look at Tennessee. The eastern part of TN would have the mountains you love and hot summers. TN was second on my list when we left VA and WV was first. WV has a lot of problems but none that I didn’t understand or wasn’t familiar with and not deal breakers for us. Missouri was also on our list and you would have to research the state now but I believe you would love the mountains there.

Just some thoughts off the top of my head. Everybody wants to go to Florida that I talk to…or Texas. LOL @Denise would have to tell you about Texas which as you can guess has some of its own problems. And I would say too…be aware of Tornado Alley. I am so petrified of the thought of a tornado that a few states got marked off our list solely because they were practically front and center in Tornado Alley.

wolfheathen
    Participant

Politics aside, I’d say North Carolina or Tennessee. WV is maybe a bit colder in winter than you’d want but it IS about as “remote” and poor as you can find in the Eastern US. Western US, politics aside, I’d guess anything on the coast would work, but it’s not cheap…and inland maybe Arizona or Colorado. These all get you moderate winters and mountains…but Colorado can get damn cold, depending on where you’re at.

Chris422🤠
    Participant

Texas!

Ron E
    Participant

Texas is where you want to be judging from what you describe. Very independent and getting more so every day. Weather is warm from anywhere south of the pan handle which should be exactly what you’re used to.

If I have ever thought of leaving Texas, given all we have experienced with the election and the pandemic, that’s completely off the table now. I’m staying put and standing for freedom.

Best wishes in whatever you decide to do.

Erik M
    Participant

You’ll have do define “Mountains” a little better. There’s a world of difference between the Rockies and that other stuff back East…

Knobby

Yes, the mountain ranges in the eastern U.S. are much older chains and not as tall as the Rockies or other western ranges. If I’m not mistaken the entire state of West Virginia is mountainous.

Lisa B
    Participant

I’m in Virginia. Although it’s being portrayed as a blue state now, I don’t believe that to be 100% true. Virginia is beautiful, mountains and coast. Virginians go to North Carolina when they escape tho. Lower taxes. It’s a beautiful state as well. Mountains and coast. If I had to pick, I’d be looking at NC, TN and South Dakota. Florida is welcoming but the heat and humidity is horrendous. Not to mention, tons of people. Texas sounds great too but it’s immigration problems would scare me lol. This whole pandemic has started a mass migration of people. It will be interesting to see how it works out when this is all over. That is, if it ever ends.

Steven B
    Participant

Hi Wolf

If you locate Cudgen, NSW on the Australian coast. I live almost as many degrees north of the equator as Cudgen is south of the equator so the climate is similar here in South Texas. Mind you I am VERY close to the Mexican border and so, culturally, it is more Mexican. Some people say that America really doesn’t start until you are north of San Antonio (I am about 200 + miles south of San Antonio). Locate McAllen, TX near the Rio Grande River and that is the area I am in. Cost of living here is cheaper than other places.

Caveats: health care is going to be a lot different than Australia and a direct cost to you. However, your taxation will probably be lower. Consider carefully should you wish to become a US citizen – once a citizen, where ever you live on this little blue globe, you will owe Uncle Sam income tax unless you do what thousands of Americans living abroad do – pay the exorbitant fee and renounce your American citizenship. Although very beautiful, stay away from California – you’ll find the cost of living in many places very high and it becomes more “left” by the day. Should you have any close family in Australia that you wish to go back and spend time with, you could end up in the situation I am in now – I haven’t been back to see my elderly parents in over a year due to Canada’s overkill travelers.

Debbie S
    Participant

A common misconception….the entire state of WV is not mountains. I thought this too until I moved here. Much of it yes. The plateau part of WV reminds me a lot of the plateau in middle Tennessee….both are beautiful areas and high elevation. There is actually a lot of farmland in the middle of the state and the northern part of the state is much like Ohio. But you really should define what you mean when you say mountains. We wanted to move to upstate New York for several years….beautiful, beautiful country and mountains. Thank goodness we didn’t and even then in the 90’s it was the taxes that stopped us. 🙁 I haven’t hiked as many mountains on the west coast as the east coast but have seen them. Day and night difference. Both are gorgeous in their way. As said, east coast mountains are old mountains and covered in deciduous forests. The first hike I went on in the Rocky Mountains I was struck by the constant and lovely smell of pine and spruce….and how much higher and rocky it was. LOL I’m like Lisa about Texas, it was on our list but the immigrant problem was a deal breaker. 🙁 We were reconsidering and my son was too when the wall was being built. But now that has come to a halt and likely will even be taken down. 🙁

A lot of the southeast has a very temperate climate and winters aren’t too cold traditionally. I say traditionally because there are parts of the SE that have gotten a lot colder weather and a lot more snow than I have this winter in WV. LOL

Debbie S
    Participant

@Steven B you have mentioned this before and it is so heartbreaking to me that you can’t visit your parents. 🙁 Mindblowing isn’t it? Once upon a time you could go freely back and worth across that border on the basis of your driver’s license. My son is determined to leave VA and if we can’t convince him to move to WV we will give serious consideration to SD or Texas if he chooses one of them.

Good points you brought up….

Wolf
    Participant

Thank you everyone for your detailed replies.

When I refer to mountains I am speaking in an ‘Australian’ sense… in other words, foothills compared to the Rockies. Even your ‘worn down’ eastern mountain ranges make our ‘mountains’ look pathetic.

As to cold, I have seen snow twice in my life… and while fun to visit, wouldn’t want to live in it for any length of time. Wherever we end up has to be a ‘banana’ climate. If bananas can grow and thrive, I will too.

We would probably buy an old bus and trip around a bit before settling, that way we can learn as much as possible about each promising area.

Thomas W
    Participant

Yeah, it is a real problem to balance all the variables. I am a Florida native but loved the mountains and Elk. Now at 59 post-heart attack and bypass…..I am much less in love with the winter here in Montana. -20F this week with wind chills much colder. So I am thinking of northern Florida. I looked briefly at Eugene OR but far too liberal in OR. I like TX and have family there but way too hot. Ashville NC is a possibility for temperate and more hilly (we have serious mountains in the Rockies).

Debbie S
    Participant

Well Wolf….if you get to do that and I hope you can…you better bring that bus to WV and visit our mountains. 🙂 The New River Gorge is a must see and needs to be on your list.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.