Home Forums Sasquatch Forum Good site for looking up old newspaper articles?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Trey
    Participant

Anybody know a good site to look up old newspaper articles that are free. Preferably one that has been digitized?

Six
    Participant

I would like to know also.
    One day maybe.

The biggest hurdle is the large stack of surplus hurdles.
    We are talking thousands of newspapers spanning hundred(s) years.
    Digitized collections are usually localized and spotty.

Small, large, and extint organizations that do have collections, have one because of the labor of underfunded or volunteer efforts.

Seek out a search engine?

roger s
    Participant
    roger s
    Participant

it’s very tedious looking through thousands of old newspaper reports if you’re looking for Sasquatch/Bigfoot items, simply because in the old days there were many men living out in the woods who were wild and hairy. Then there were the hairy pugilists. The terms Bigfoot and Sasquatch are recent, so won’t be found in old reports. If anyone has a descriptive apart from ” wildman” “hairy man” “giant hairy man” “ape man” that we could use in searches it would be appreciated.

Trey
    Participant

Ya I know here in my area all the old newspaper refers to them as wild men or Harry man. Sometimes the skunk ape but that’s more recent. Thanks for the link

Gumshoguy

I know the thread says free but I wanted to share this with you. It is a fee based site but, it gives you access to a billion newspapers or more right at your finger tips. It’s called, Newspaper Archives Online, http://newspaperarchive.com/?gclid=CjwKEAjwgbG5BRDp3oW3qdPiuCwSJAAQmoSDW3i2CRgHyVq8ZH-DoKamcd61Szc04_SwD6yGS4MA3BoC193w_wcB

I’ve been a subscriber a few times but not presently.

Just a tip for searching: Try Wild Card searches. For example use a single adjective(s) with the word beast, large monster, huge hairy creature and anything you can think of. Then try those in different order or combinations and find what offers the most results in your searches.

ohkyhiker
    Participant

There’s a bunch here already scanned, its a great place to see what kind of stories are out there. http://s942.photobucket.com/user/tirademan/library/Big%20News%20Prints%20articles?sort=3&page=1

Gumshoguy

This is a free site. It provides endless amounts of archived material from to old television and radio programs to magazines, position papers, books, newspapers, commercials, and much more. They tap into everything found on the internet from its earliest time to present and sources are provided by the Boston Library and Smithsonian Library, have fun reading, watching and listening.

https://archive.org/

Gumshoguy

The reason why I liked the Newspaper Archive site was not because it was fee based, but it gave me access to hundreds or thousands of tiny local obscure newspapers from around the country I never heard of before. It is localism at its best!

With vastly improved modern digital scanning processes rarely do you find a newspaper too difficult to read whether from age, font size or ink on that site. If you want to get a feel for the magnitude of hard life in all it’s early glory try it.

They have tons of newspapers from the U.S. and Canada some of which date back to the late 1700’s and a large portion of them from the 1800’s and early 1900’a from places you never knew existed.

What you’ll find is that early journalism rarely minced words. People back then had no computers, telephones, televisions or radios and often times the means of communicating was a town newspaper in some rural parts.

They discuss mysteries of strange hairy beasts, abducted or waylaid while traveling by horse or horse and buggy all rather innocently. Townspeople reacted very differently than today and back in the day men folk would respond some would say swiftly and violently if one of their own were attacked or harmed by man or beast.

It was just one of the programs I used privately as a licensed private investigator when I was not on public government time. Overall, I would rate the site good to very good.

ohkyhiker
    Participant
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.