Home Forums Sasquatch Forum Sasquatch and sago palms

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Denise F
    Participant

I was asking a member last night if they had seen areas where Sago palms had been broken off and woven together or stacked on the ground. Due to their lack of response to this particular subject (I’m kidding πŸ˜‰) I wanted to pose a theory to you guys.

I’ll set the scene…..

Last night I drove the truck capable of these deep remote forest service roads. I’ll drive miles into the Sam on these caliche rock roads that aren’t large enough for two cars to pass. I have been noticing these palms (sago palms leaves) that are broken off and placed in an area right on the side of the road. Usually it’s a woven or stacked area at least 6-8 ft in length.

This occurs about every mile, on the right and next on the left side of the road. I can not locate where they are coming from so I’m assuming they are brought in. This has been puzzling me each time I see it.

Last night I noticed honeysuckle blooms (these were a pinkish red) lying under one palm group. The honeysuckles must have been brought in also since I couldn’t find a vine anywhere nearby.

Here’s my thought…..sago palms are highly toxic and yet animals like deer love honeysuckle. Could it be that Sasquatch poisons it prey…..makes them sick, ultimately slowing them down?

Smart Enough To Poison?

Denise F
    Participant

Other note:

Between two groups of these palm stacks there was a HUGE ball of dead tree branches (dead leaves still attached) formed into a 7ft ball. Again right on the side of this road.

I don’t even know how you could form a perfect giant ball out of these dead branches.

Can post that pic in a bit.

Lisa B
    Participant

I’d be terrified to drive down thru there! You’re brave Denise!

Knobby

Denise, to go along with what you are proposing, deer often congregate near roadsides, especially late at night, because that’s where green plants and grass will grow more plentifully as opposed to more heavily treed areas.

Mixing a poisonous plant with honeysuckle kind of does sound like an ominous motive.

Denise F
    Participant

Knobby, that makes total sense.

You know those palms aren’t easy to tear off either. A human wouldn’t be interested in all of that way out there…..that I can think of.

I had just passed a lime green glass vintage soda bottle, shined like it was new -about a foot into the road. Interestingly enough, the skinny end you drink out of was pointing across the road to a game trail. I do wonder where they store old soda cans, vintage beer bottles and cans because they look brand new, lol.

I tried to take a pic of this print I found that showed ‘something’ with long toenails….I’m talking unsightly long. It didn’t turn out though….that one could have been a hillbilly πŸ˜‰

chris422
    Participant

Yeah, ‘Poppins’ is a dangerous homegirl; She’s packing!

Augustine L
    Participant

Sago palms are listed as “deer resistant” in my internets. They won’t eat them. Honeysuckle is apparently used more for cover than for food. Berries may be poisonous.

Maybe they are drying them? Perhaps they use them for …. brushing away footprints? As part of a hunting blind? People use the leaves for roofing and for making baskets and fish traps.

Denise F
    Participant

Augustine, good idea about the drying. Could have been coincidence about the honeysuckle blooms being under the pile. What made me take notice is that in other active areas I have seen weird trails of honeysuckle blooms lining a path. No vines were in the surrounding area and yet there were too many for an animal to have dropped them out of their mouth while walking. I’ll keep my eye out in the future for clues of drying. Ty

@lisa
    Chris is right, I’m always packing. Lol

Chris, πŸ˜‹ Your memory is long, lol.

Celia
    Participant

Could the piles have been left by park workers? I ask because I used to be a park volunteer and when we would do invasive/disease removal we were always told to stack the debris on the road for pickup (or burning if the season allowed for it). Honeysuckle is invasive in many parks. Sago isn’t native to Texas but I don’t think it’s invasive, either. Still, if it has any kind of disease or insect infestation (ie. cycad scale) they could be clipping off the affected fronds and stacking them roadside to protect the rest of the park. A full-blown scale infestation could cause a lot of damage. They may be trying to nip something in the bud.

Denise F
    Participant

Celia-

It’s not a bad theory but I don’t get the feeling that is the situation. I’m not downing our park service workers but they can barely put a plank of wood up to fix a broken bridge so it’s doubtful they are cleaning out invasive plants. In fact the only time I’ve seen a fs worker or ranger is twice when someone was missing.

Anything is possible though and it’s a fantastic idea that I hadn’t considered.

This particular area is also used by the cartel.
    It’s secluded enough and I actually passed someone running down the side of the road the other day after snapping these pics.

He was totally out of place. He looked like he was from Central America and was running right towards my truck covered head to toe in black clothing. Black bandana up to his eyes and had a big backpack (it looked a little like a Sasquatch from a distance because of all the black clothing and I actually had to ask “that is a person, right?”) It was 95Β° and no one in Texas is jogging in the afternoon in that outfit. He had a pretty mean glare as we passed.

Made me wonder if any cartel members go missing out there? I betcha they wouldn’t be quick to report it.

Celia
    Participant

Yikes. Please be careful, Denise. Cartels are nothing to mess with.

Steven B
    Participant

“Cartels are nothing to mess with.”

Neither is a pistol packin’ Texas woman… πŸ˜‰

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.